Education is going through a tumultuous time right now, as Common Core standards continue to be a divisive issue. Whether you’re for or against the new shift, the new Florida Standards still remain in place for students currently enrolled in school. Here at The Tutoring Center, we understand that this can be a frustrating time for many parents and children, especially those 2nd graders who are having a difficult time completing math homework or even those 3rd grade students who are taking the FSA this year. Worried about what your child needs to know in math by the end of the year? Here’s a summary of some of the math tutoring subjects we cover:
- Proficiency with adding and subtracting numbers. Students should have memorized all addition facts using single-digits, and be able to add and subtract well into the thousands.
- Understand place values and the relationship between 1’s, 10’s, 100’s, and 1000’s.
- Be able to compare numbers using <, >, and =.
- Skip count to 1000 by 5’s, 10’s and 100’s.
- Work with equal groups to start multiplication foundation
- Measure distances accurately using tools, as well as perform addition and subtraction with measurements.
- Represent numbers on a number line.
- Read time on analog and digital clocks.
- Solve problems involving money—coins, bills, etc.
- Work with line plots, bar graphs, and picture graphs.
- Draw specific shapes and be able to divide them into equal parts.
You can find the full breakdown of required learning of the Florida Standards website at www.flstandards.org. While these are the benchmarks that all students in 2nd grade are expected to master, each teacher may go about teaching the concepts in different ways. Your child’s teacher can fill you in on areas with which your child is struggling and what they’re moving onto next in the classroom. If you need some help outside the classroom, please feel free to call our center and schedule a free diagnostic test!